I have become quite the smoothie queen lately, especially when it comes to breakfast. I love breakfast, but my relationship with it has become a little strained since I quit eating my trusty Limited Edition Cheerio varieties (the banana nut flavor is by far the best).
Over the summer I mostly ate toast with goat cheese and fruit, but after eating it nearly daily for two months, I needed to switch it up. That’s when YouTube saved the day!
A former lesbian couple I follow on YouTube makes videos and books of raw vegan recipes. Through their videos, I went down the rabbit hole of raw vegan life and raw vegans seem to enjoy their smoothies quite a bit. So, I got some of the ingredients that they like to use in their smoothies, and now I start my day off with the comforting sound of the blender.
Pumpkin Chai Smoothie
- 1 large banana or two baby bananas
- 2-3 generous tablespoons of pumpkin puree
- 1/4 hemp protein powder (or one serving size of another protein powder)
- 1 tbs of chia seeds
- 1-2 tbs of flax seeds (serving size is 2tbs but I add one)
- about thumb-size of fresh ginger, peeled
- a bunch of ground cinnamon
- a dash or two of ground nutmeg
- some dashes of black pepper
- some dashes of ground turmeric
- pumpkin seeds to top
- enough non-dairy milk/water/a combo of both to get the consistency you want
All you have to do is throw it all (minus the pumpkin seeds) in the blender, pour into a glass, top with pumpkin seeds, and you’re good to go! You can mess around the quantity of each ingredient to suit your palate.
If you make this, let me know your thoughts in the comments! What do you usually eat for breakfast?